Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Beta #2 - 5w2d

Yesterday, I went in for my second beta test and an ultrasound. As usual, they were brief yet efficient. The nurse who took my blood was chatty and pleasant, and congratulated me over and over again. The ultrasound tech was a little less friendly, but all business. She told me that based on what she could see on the screen, there was only 1 gestational sac and yolk sac in there. I cannot even begin to say how relieved that made me. Of course, she then backed herself up by saying, "but we won't know for sure until your next ultrasound, it's still too early to tell," but I'm going with only one in there.

Granted, we would have been over the moon if there were 2 in there. But 1 is just fine by me, TYVM.

She also said that the sac measured normally, but it was too early to see the embryo. And that at my next ultrasound we should be able to see a lot more, and possibly even a fetal pole (heartbeat!!!!!). I was thrilled regardless. She gave me a photo to take home to Dave, of which I promptly snapped a picture with my iPhone and sent it off... and then destroyed the (iPhone) evidence! Can't have Natalie getting ahold of the phone and someone seeing a picture of something that I'm not ready to share! Besides, showing ultrasound photos to people kind of creeps me out... it just feels sort of violating - that someone can see a picture of the inside of my uterus. But that's just me and I'm a weirdo. Anyway, I digress...

After the ultrasound, I went in to chat with Dr. Glassner. He confirm my EDD of 5/19/13, and went down the list of do's and don'ts for pregnancy. I asked if I could still have my 8 oz cup of coffee. He frowned, but said yes, as long as I limit myself to that. By the look of relief that I am sure washed across my face when he said that, I can tell he was amused because he smiled. He then told me that I could exercise but had to keep my pulse under 130 bpm. I explained to him that I am an avid exerciser, and I'm used to working out 5-6 days a week... and that made me nervous because 130 bpm is not much. He said to just pace myself - if I felt overtired or overheated, to back it down. But as long as whatever I am doing is what I'm used to, it's ok. That was a relief too - I was starting to worry about how I was going to keep up with my activities! Pretty soon soccer is going to be a no-no (I'm thinking I can play another 2-3 weeks as long as I'm smart about it)... but I can sacrifice a season or two if I must ;-)

So - my next appointment will be next Friday the 28th. I will be 6w5d at that point. I'm sure I'll update before then though!

No comments:

Post a Comment